What is Welding and Cutting?
Welding is the process of joining two pieces of metal together by using heat and pressure. This process can be done by using different methods, but the most common welding method is arc welding.
Cutting is the process of using a torch or other cutting tool to remove metal from a workpiece. Welding and cutting are two important processes in the metalworking industry.
What is a Welding and Cutting Procedure?
A welding and cutting procedure is a written document that provides instructions on how to safely weld and cut metals.
The procedure establishes the requirements for protecting workers against the hazards associated with welding, cutting, brazing, soldering and other hot work activities. The procedure should be followed to ensure that the work is done safely and correctly.
Safety Precautions with Welding, Cutting and Heating
When undertaking welding, cutting or heating work the following safety precautions should be followed:
- Gas cutting, heating equipment and welding electrode holders should be set-up and used in accordance with the instructions and recommendations of the manufacturer.
- Welders must be familiar with the equipment’s operating manual, specifically all safety information (e.g. flashback arrestors, metal guards, cylinder valves, hoses and pressures etc).
- Welders must wear all the PPE (particularly eye protection) that is necessary to protect against burns, fumes, gases and any other hazards that may be present.
- Combustible materials and flammables must be removed from the hot work area and a fire extinguisher should be kept nearby.
- When welding, cutting or heating in areas where other workers are close by, warning signs should be placed in the area to alert others of hazards.
- Welding screens should be positioned around welding tasks (where necessary) to protect any persons nearby.
- Any flammable materials and combustibles that cannot be removed from the work area must be covered with a non-flammable cover.
- Sparks, hot slag, hot metal and other welding debris must not affect persons working at a lower level. Use either fire blankets or a suitable barricade with signs to restrict access, where necessary.
- Be aware that welding a metal surface that has been previously coated with lead paint can release lead pollutants, which can damage the nervous system. This activity must be risk assessed and respiratory protection worn, if necessary. Environmental health may also need to be considered.
- A hot work permit must be completed for any application of heat or spark producing activity, that may increase the risk of fire or explosion.
- Welding operations that may cause an ignition source (e.g. due to a type of fuel gas) must have a fire watch overseeing the area for a specified period of time.
Contents of this Welding and Cutting Procedure
- Terms and Definitions.
- Roles and Responsibilities.
- Welding, Cutting and Heating Safety Precautions.
- Personal Protective Equipment for Welding.
- Compressed Gas Cylinders.
- Fumes and Airborne Contaminants.
- Electric Welding.
- Gas Welding.
- Welding Drums and Tanks.
- Wet Locations.
- Fumes in Confined Spaces.
- Related Procedures, Forms and Documents.
- Review Criteria.
- Record Management.
Why Choose to Buy this Welding and Cutting Procedure
- This 11-page welding and cutting procedure can assist you provide the health and safety standards for welding and allied processes, to reduce the possibility of shock and minimize associated hazards.
- This procedure establishes the requirements for protecting workers against the hazards associated with welding, cutting and hotwork activities that may occur.
After purchasing this procedure you will be able to:
- Very easily edit and customize the template to create your own welding and cutting procedure.
- Apply your own style, format and brand to the procedure.
- Use it in any industry or sector regardless of the size or type of organization.
Availability and Use of this Welding and Cutting Procedure
- This welding and cutting procedure is accessible to you right now by clicking the ‘Buy Now’ button.
- The procedure will be delivered to you in fully editable Microsoft Word format for immediate and full use in your business.
- There are no subscriptions, contracts or ongoing costs.
This welding and cutting procedure is 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
You may also require: