Angle Grinder Safety
Angle grinders or disc grinders are handheld power tools that are used for cutting, grinding and polishing. Angle grinders are among some of the most dangerous tools used in many workplaces and a significant number of injuries are linked to their use. Many of the incidents are often accompanied by less than adequate safe work procedures.
Pre-operational safety checks include:
- Ensuring that the angle grinder is in good condition and that you are familiar with the controls and how they operate.
- Ensuring that the guard and handle are fitted, secure and functional.
- Ensuring that electrical leads or other housekeeping hazards are not positioned to create a trip hazard or positioned across any route where they may be damaged.
- Ensuring that lighting is adequate for the task.
- Checking the disc for damage, cracks, RPM maximum speed rating, excessive or uneven wear.
- Check the flange and locking nut is secure.
- Being sure to remove the energy source (isolate) of the angle grinder before replacing a disc.
- Completing any required permits, e.g. hot-work permit.
Operational safety requirements include:
- Ensuring that the material or item being worked on is secure.
- Always keep both your hands on the angle grinder to control movement.
- Avoiding applying excessive force on the disc.
- Maintain the grinding disc or cutting disc at a 15 to 30 degree angle to the work where possible.
- Always grinding in a way so that sparks are directed away from your body and never direct sparks towards another person.
- Ensuring that nearby workers are wearing personal protective equipment (e.g. safety glasses) to protect against flying particles and sparks when in close vicinity of cutting or grinding operations.
- If experiencing excessive vibration, take breaks to reduce exposure.
- Wearing a dust mask if dust or particles are being generated by the grinding process.
- Never putting the angle grinder down until the disc has stopped spinning.
Note: It is very important to always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and safety guidelines for the specific angle grinder you are using.
Why Download this Angle Grinder Safe Work Procedure?
This 1-page safe work procedure for using an angle grinder can assist you to instruct and train workers on the safe operation of a battery, pneumatic or electrically powered angle grinder.
With this angle grinder safe work procedure you will be able to:
- Very easily edit and customize the template to create your own angle grinder safe work procedure.
- Apply your own style, format and brand to the safe work procedure.
- Use it in any industry or sector regardless of size or type of organization.
Availability and Use of this Angle Grinder Safe Work Procedure
- This angle grinder safe work procedure is accessible to you right now by clicking the ‘Download Template’ button or the ‘Download Through Checkout’ button.
- No payment is required for this angle grinder safe work procedure and it will be delivered to you in fully editable Microsoft Word format for immediate and full use in your business.
- There are no subscriptions, contracts or ongoing costs.
You may also require: