About this New Employee Orientation Checklist
This new employee orientation checklist can facilitate what level of training, competency or certification is required to perform a work task safely, or what level of competency is required.
If this process of employee orientation is done correctly the onboarding of the new employee will be beneficial for management, the new employee and productivity.
What is New Employee Orientation?
When a new employee first commences employment at an organization, one of the first things that need to be completed is their employee orientation. Employee orientation and safety training is a vital process that enables a workplace to operate safely with new personnel.
Whether you’re welcoming a new hire or helping an existing employee to transition to a new role, a thorough orientation is the key to ensuring a smooth and successful transition.
New Employee Orientation Checks
This employee orientation checklist covers some of the basic essential information that a new employee needs to know, such as:
- The company’s safety program and company culture.
- Discuss general employee onboarding and employee feel for the hiring process.
- Introduction to team members and human resources.
- On-the-job specific training sessions.
- Safety meetings and other scheduled meetings.
- Disciplinary actions.
- How to use and care for personal protective equipment.
- When to report an injury.
- How to report an injury.
- Who to report an injury to.
- Communication and responsibility for reporting injuries.
- Completing incident report forms.
- Overview of procedures, methods and hazards, as they relate to the employee’s specific job.
- New hire paperwork, tools and software needed for their role.
- Safety rules and mandatory requirements.
- First aid person.
- First aid supplies and training.
- Emergency plan and procedures.
- Evacuation routes and assembly points.
- Use of firefighting equipment.
- Specific emergency procedures (medical, hazmat etc.)
- Vehicle use and parking.
- Personal work habits and expectations.
- Serious consequences of misconduct.
- Fighting and misbehaviour.
- Smoking policy
- Housekeeping practices
- Manual handling techniques
- Issue a business card.
- Issue the employee manual link for the onboarding process.
Employers should tailor their orientation programs to lay the groundwork and fit the needs of their organization. The orientation should be specific to the type of position their new hires will be filling.
Note: A good employee orientation program will set the new employees up for success from day one.
Training, Skills and Competencies
Anyone undertaking work that requires a license (e.g. high-risk license) and/or a prescribed activity will need to provide evidence of their qualifications to their new employer.
Qualifications should be recorded at orientation and be recorded in the company’s skills and competencies recording system.
It should be mandatory that all personnel performing work must be competent in the assigned work tasks, having received training through a manufacturer, supplier, accredited profession, their employer or another verifiable source.
Why Download this New Employee Orientation Checklist?
- When a new employee first commences employment at an organization, one of the first things that need to be completed is their orientation process.
- This new employee orientation checklist can assist you to ensure that new employees are properly introduced to their workplace and have all the necessary information and resources to feel comfortable and perform their job safety and effectively.
With this new employee orientation checklist you will be able to:
- Very easily edit and customize the template to create your own new employee onboarding checklist.
- Apply your own style, format and brand to the new employee orientation checklist.
- Use it in any industry or sector regardless of size or type of organization.
Availability and Use of this New Employee Orientation Checklist
- This new employee orientation checklist is accessible to you right now by clicking the ‘Download Template’ button or the ‘Download Through Checkout’ button.
- No payment is required for this checklist and it will be delivered to you in fully editable Microsoft Word format for immediate and full use in your business.
- There are no subscriptions, contracts or ongoing costs.
You may also require: