About this Machine Safety Checklist
This machine safety checklist can be used to review and verify if the hazards and risks related to machinery are adequately managed. All machinery, either before purchase, commissioning or operation should be assessed to determine compliance levels with legislation. Any risks or hazards identified pertaining to the machinery need to be adequately controlled.
Note: Inspections, information, training and supervision must be provided to operators, so they can operate the machinery without risk to their health and safety.
Why is Machinery Safety so Important?
Working around machinery can be extremely dangerous if you do not take the proper precautions for risk reduction, safety and health. Machinery operators use some of the most dangerous equipment in the world and even a small mistake can lead to serious injury or death. That’s why it’s so important to follow machinery safety protocols, hazard assessments and to always use the right safety equipment.
Machine Safety Checks
- Are pre-start checks conducted to ensure all the safety features are in good working order?
- Where a presence (or motion) sensing system is used, is a safe system of work documented?
- Where a presence sensing system is used is there a system or alarm to alert the user when the guard is inactive?
- Where a presence sensing system is used are inspection and maintenance logs or records kept for the system?
- Are appropriate isolation and control of energy procedures provided for maintenance work to ensure that the machine will not start?
- Where setting, testing and start-ups are required with the final means of safeguarding removed, are interim safeguards provided?
- Where fixed physical guards are provided, are there adequate safe work procedures for cleaning, maintenance, adjustment and repair?
- In circumstances where it is not practicable to guard machinery and persons are required to operate or pass near dangerous moving parts, is a safe system of work in place to reduce the risks, as far as practicable?
- Where fixed guards are provided, are they of substantial construction and secured into position while machinery is in operation?
- Where interlocking machine safeguards are provided, can they prevent the operation of the machinery when open, and are the guards prevented from opening while the machinery is in operation?
- Where a presence sensing system is used, does it operate as intended and stop the machine parts when the light beams or sensors are interrupted?
- Do guards protect body parts and loose clothing against any hazards to the rear and sides of machinery?
- Is safeguarding at the highest level that is reasonably practicable to protect workers?
Training of Operators and Maintenance Personnel
- Are machine operators and maintenance personnel appropriately trained, familiar with safe operation and set up of machinery and able to competently use all the safety features and protective equipment?
Availability of Information
- Are manufacturers’ instruction manuals readily available near the point of operation and understood by operators and maintenance personnel to enable safe work practices?
- Are machine controls protected to prevent unintentional start-up or operation?
- Are machine controls and electrical components adequately marked as to their function and within easy reach of the operator?
- Are manufacturers’ decals, labels and warning signs clearly visible and in English?
Why Download this Machine Safety Checklist?
This machine safety checklist can be used to assist you review and verify if the hazards and risks related to various types of machines are adequately managed.
With this machine safety checklist you will be able to:
- Very easily edit and customize the template to create your own machine safety checklist.
- Apply your own style, format and brand to the machine safety checklist.
- Use it in any industry or sector regardless of size or type of organization.
Availability and Use of this Machine Safety Checklist
- This machine safety checklist is accessible to you right now by clicking the ‘Download Template’ button or the ‘Download Through Checkout’ button.
- No payment is required for this checklist and it will be delivered to you in fully editable Microsoft Word format for immediate and full use in your business.
- There are no subscriptions, contracts or ongoing costs.
You may also require: