What is a Chemical Risk Assessment?
A chemical risk assessment is a process of identifying and characterising the risks and hazards posed by a chemical. The chemical risk assessment process begins with the identification of chemicals of concern. Once they have been identified, data on the hazards and exposures associated with the chemical are gathered and an evaluation of the risks are determined.
After the risks are determined, the development and implementation of risk management strategies can be completed. By completing a chemical risk assessment, you can ensure that you are in compliance with safety legislation and that employees are aware of the potential hazards and risks associated with the chemical.
How to Conduct a Chemical Risk Assessment
Before purchasing or before using any hazardous chemical or dangerous good, a risk assessment should be undertaken to assess the risks involved with the use, handling and storage of the chemical.
All chemical risk assessments should be undertaken in consultation with the affected workers. In addition, independent experts may need to be consulted depending on the complexity of the chemical’s use and its associated processes.
Where a chemical risk assessment determines that an industrial hygiene investigation is required, the investigation should be conducted, and the results explained to the users of the chemical.
Risk assessments should consider all sources of information and in particular:
- Information from the applicable safety data sheet.
- The type of personal protective equipment needed.
- The type and quantity of the hazardous chemical or dangerous goods to be used.
- Is the chemical a toxic substance and requires an exposure assessment.
- The storage, handling and disposal requirements of the chemical.
- If there is a need for personal or environmental monitoring.
- If there is a need for medical surveillance to monitor human health.
Note: Where it has been determined that personal and/or environmental risk surveillance should be undertaken, it must be done by suitably qualified and competent persons.
Chemical Risk Controls
Control measures to eliminate or reduce chemical risks should be developed in line with the hierarchy of control options (i.e. elimination, substitution, isolation, engineering, administration, and PPE level). The control measures that are chosen should be recorded in a chemical risk assessment form.
Contents of this Chemical Risk Assessment Form
The form has the provisions for:
- The product name.
- Where and how is a chemical used.
- Date of the chemical assessment.
- If labelling is adequate
- Hazardous (industrial) chemicals.
- If the safety data sheet complies.
- Persons exposed.
- Quantity stored or in use.
- Frequency of use.
- Health effects and exposure.
- Inhalation risk.
- Skin contact risk.
- Eye contact risk.
- Ingestion risk.
- Adverse health.
- Monitoring results.
- Fire or explosion hazard.
- Storage and handling required.
- Entry prevention controls.
- Controls are currently in place.
- Elimination control.
- Substitution control.
- Isolation control.
- Engineering control.
- Administrative control.
- PPE control.
- First aid facilities available.
- Spills and emergency procedures.
- Waste disposal procedures.
- Environmental exposure.
- Monitoring required.
- Health surveillance required.
- Final assessment of residual risk after controls are implemented.
- And risk assessment matrix.
Why Choose to Buy this Chemical Risk Assessment Form?
- This 2-page template can be used to assess the hazards and risks of a chemical/hazardous substance or dangerous good.
- The form is aligned to a standardised safety data sheet and it has an example chemical assessment already completed for you.
After purchasing this form you will be able to:
- Very easily edit and customise the template to create your own chemical risk assessment template.
- Apply your own style, format and brand to the chemical assessment form.
- Use it in any industry or sector regardless of size or type of organization.
Availability and Use of this Chemical Risk Assessment Form
- This form is accessible to you right now by clicking the ‘Buy Now’ button.
- The form will be delivered to you in fully editable Microsoft Word format for immediate and full use in your business.
- There are no subscriptions, contracts or ongoing costs.
This form is 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
You may also require: