About Health and Safety Issues
How health and safety issues at work are raised and dealt with is a test of:
- How well the workplace manages health and safety.
- Management and the employee’s commitment to health and safety to identify issues, or possible safety improvements in the workplace.
- Management’s commitment to resolve the safety issues or act on improvements, so that the health and safety of all employees is enhanced.
Note: Wherever possible, any health and safety issues at work should be resolved through consultation. However, if the issue cannot be resolved, then it should follow a defined health and safety issue resolution process.
Identifying and Raising Health and Safety Issues
The key to the successful resolution of health and safety issues (and avoidance of ceasing work) is the early identification of a problem, potential problem or potential improvement before it becomes a major issue.
Personnel should always raise issues directly with management first and:
- Be encouraged to be conscious of their work environment and work methods and to identify hazard controls that could affect or improve workplace health and safety.
- Be aware that periodic or occasional audits or an inspection of the workplaces by management or others are a necessary component of ensuring the health and safety of all.
- Make sure that any matters identified are initially raised and discussed with management as soon as possible.
Note: As with any action to resolve health and safety issues or improve the workplace, the preliminary response will be a management or supervision responsibility.
Additional note: It is desirable not to hold health and safety issues over until a later date e.g. the next health and safety or workgroup meeting. Management must seriously consider every problem or improvement that is raised and fully understand its importance to employees.
Mechanisms for employees to document health and safety issues may include:
- Auditing programs such as safety and hazard inspections.
- Near miss reporting using a hazard reporting process.
- Risk assessment and resolved issues processes.
- Issuing a provisional improvement notice for resolution of issues.
- Health and safety representatives or general safety representatives (HSR’s).
- Issues that are raised and recorded at health and safety committee meetings.
It is important that any idea or suggestion offered is:
- Acknowledged, so that employees affected by the issue know they have been heard.
- Assessed for its suitability, which should involve the employee who put forward the idea.
- Publicized, so that others may benefit from the health and safety idea.
- Implemented as soon as practicable as per an issue resolution procedure.
- Monitored, and its success, failure or improvement is revised and reported back to the employees.
Why Download this WHS Issue Resolution Flowchart?
This health and safety issue resolution flowchart can be used to illustrate and clarify a defined process by which health and safety issues can be reported and resolved in the workplace.
With this WHS issue resolution flowchart you will be able to:
- Very easily edit and customize the template to create your own WHS issue resolution flowchart.
- Apply your own style, format and brand to the WHS issue resolution flowchart.
- Use it in any industry or sector regardless of size or type of organization.
Availability and Use of this WHS Issue Resolution Flowchart
- This WHS issue resolution flowchart is accessible to you right now by clicking the ‘Download Template’ button or the ‘Download Through Checkout’ button.
- No payment is required for this flowchart and it will be delivered to you in fully editable Microsoft Word format for immediate and full use in your business.
- There are no subscriptions, contracts or ongoing costs.
You may also require: