Electrical Safety Overview
Electrical safety refers to the careful way in which workers who are exposed to the risks of electricity, electrical systems and electrically powered equipment conduct their work.
Electrical safety relates to any method or guideline that workers follow to mitigate electrical hazards and risks and prevent incidents with electricity.
Non-compliance with electrical safety management system requirements and safe work practices can lead to very serious incidents or even fatalities.
What is Electrical Work?
Electrical work refers to any work that is connecting or disconnecting electricity supply wiring to electrical equipment, or manufacturing, constructing, installing, removing, adding, testing, replacing, repairing, altering or maintaining electrical equipment or an electrical installation.
What are Electrical Safety Procedures?
Due to the intrinsic risk when working with electricity it is extremely important to follow electrical safety procedures to avoid injury or death. Electrical safety procedures will detail the many safety precautions and safety control measures that persons at risk need to be aware of if exposed to potential electrical hazards and risks and to work safely.
Below are just a few of the safety control measures and some safety tips that need to be followed when working with electrical equipment and electrical installations:
- Electrical work must only be performed by licensed electricians, electrical contractors and other qualified competent persons.
- All electrical work must comply with the relevant Australian standards, national codes and other relevant legislation.
- All persons must be competent in the electrical equipment they intend on using and/or the electrical work they plan on performing.
- Unauthorized alterations of electrical equipment or installations must not be undertaken under any circumstances.
- Electrical equipment needs to be inspected tested and tagged and visually inspected before use.
- Persons must be aware of the safe work requirements with electrical cords, power lines, short circuit electrical fires, energised electrical circuits, residual circuit breakers, residual current devices etc.
- All necessary electrical personal protective equipment (PPE) such as rubber gloves, non-conductive shoes and safety glasses must be worn.
Note: Persons performing electrical work must be provided with adequate information, training and supervision to enable compliance with all applicable workplace safety and electrical safety legislation.
Contents of this AS/NZS ISO 45001 Electrical Safety Procedure
- Terms and Definitions.
- Roles and Responsibilities.
- Electrical Work.
- Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment.
- Electrical Equipment Register.
- Working Near Overhead or Underground Electrical Lines.
- Safety Observer.
- Electrical Circuits.
- Contact with Electrical Assets.
- Electrical Installations.
- Power Cords, Extension Cords and Extension Sets.
- Electrical Shock Response.
- Use of Portable Electrical Equipment.
- Electrical Isolations.
- Electrical Equipment in Hazardous Areas.
- Use of Electrically Conductive Ladders.
- Performing Live Work.
- PPE for Live Work.
- Related Procedures, Forms and Documents.
- Review Criteria.
- Record Management.
Why Choose to Buy this AS/NZS ISO 45001 Electrical Safety Procedure
- This 14-page electrical safety procedure can help you ensure that the requirements for the electrical work, electrical inspection and testing of electrical equipment are in place to minimize risks to health and safety and to meet mandatory legislative requirements.
- The procedure can be applied to all electrical equipment owned and operated at a ‘typical workplace’ or a contractor or employee of a contractor working at a ‘typical workplace’.
After purchasing this AS/NZS ISO 45001 electrical safety procedure you will be able to:
- Very easily edit and customize the template to create your own electrical safety procedure.
- Apply your own style, format and brand to the procedure.
- Use it in any industry or sector regardless of the size or type of organization.
Availability and Use of this AS/NZS ISO 45001 Electrical Safety Procedure
- This electrical safety procedure is accessible to you right now by clicking the ‘Buy Now’ button.
- The procedure will be delivered to you in fully editable Microsoft Word format for immediate and full use in your business.
- There are no subscriptions, contracts or ongoing costs.
This AS/NZS ISO 45001 electrical safety procedure is 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
You may also require: