What is Competence, Training and Awareness?
Competence training and awareness is the guidance and educational material that should be followed by staff on the company’s strategy and objectives. Staff can then consider any implications on their work activities and advise of any additional training required that is necessary to maintain or increase competence and awareness.
A competence training and awareness procedure can ensure that all defined processes are being followed and employees are performing to their best ability in their allocated tasks.
How Important is a Person’s Competency in the Workplace?
The competence requirements of personnel are vital to enable a business to operate effectively and safely. Where a level of training, competency or a certificate is required to perform a work activity, no person should be permitted to undertake that activity without an adequate level of training, competency, or the necessary certificate being attained.
How Can You Determine if Someone is Competent?
Competence refers to a person’s ability to do their jobs safely and effectively. In general terms, this can be defined as per below.
Competency is a combination of attributes, including skills, training and experience, relevant to a particular work task or function that enables a person to undertake that work task safely or discharge that function by following company expectations.
A competent person is a person who has acquired, through a combination of training, qualification or experience, the knowledge and skill necessary to undertake their work safely or discharge their function by following company expectations.
A competency assessment is the process of collecting and evaluating evidence (either an internal assessment and/or an assessment authorized by external assessors) to determine if an individual is competent to perform at the required level in his/her job description.
Management’s Responsibilities with Competence Training and Awareness
Management of an organization are responsible for planning and the required initiatives and activities that are needed for a given budgeted year or timeframe.
Management are the fundamental component for the identification of a competency to enable staff to undertake the work affecting the organization’s prospects. A competence training and awareness procedure can be vital to a management team, as it can outline their responsibilities such as:
- Identifying and planning for training needs for the benefit of improved outcomes.
- Providing guidance on the objectives and strategic direction.
- Implementing training initiatives and activities to enable competence and awareness.
- Ensuring that responsibilities and required competencies are measured.
- Facilitating training, as necessary.
- Determining the frequency of refresher training.
- Maintaining records of qualifications, competencies and training.
How to Determine What Competence Training and Awareness is Needed?
Conducting a training needs analysis is a great way to determine what training is required to enable workers to competently perform their roles. A training needs analysis can consider the following matters, inclusive of:
- Position responsibilities.
- Mandatory legal training requirements.
- Statutory licensing requirements.
- Known or anticipated risks and opportunities.
- Current procedures or the equivalent.
- Organizational requirements.
- Standards and legislation.
A training needs analysis should be reviewed periodically for all position types and updated to reflect any new positions created. The training needs analysis should be updated if:
- There are changes in risks or opportunities.
- There are changes in the work practices or measures to control risk.
- There are changes in roles and responsibilities or organizational arrangements.
- There are changes to legislation.
- There is new or additional information from manufacturers, suppliers or other relevant bodies that may impact personnel, products or services.
Establishing a Training Plan for Competence and Awareness
Once training needs have been identified and prioritized, management can then determine and source the appropriate training programs. Once a training provider is identified and their services engaged, the training should be scheduled, and subsequent details recorded. Training effectiveness should be monitored and reviewed during an appraisal process and by completion of a training course evaluation checklist.
AS/NZS ISO Management System Training
When it comes to AS/NZS ISO 9001, AS/NZS ISO 14001 and AS/NZS ISO 45001 all personnel should receive periodic AS/NZS ISO management system awareness training, appropriate to their responsibilities and this should be provided to ensure that personnel are aware of:
- The importance of conforming to policies, objectives, targets and procedures.
- Any significant impacts, actual or potential, on their work activities.
- The importance of health and safety management, environmental aspects management and quality management systems.
- Their roles and responsibilities in achieving conformance with policies, objectives, targets and procedures.
- The potential consequences of a departure from specified operational procedures.
After AS/NZS ISO management system training, an attendance record should be completed and signed by each attendee and retained on file as documented information.
Contents of this Competence Training and Awareness Procedure
- Terms and Definitions.
- Roles and Responsibilities.
- Training, Competencies and Awareness Process Overview.
- Training, Competencies and Awareness Process Flowchart.
- Induction Training.
- Training Needs Analysis.
- Training Plan.
- Management System Training.
- Refresher Training.
- Performance Review.
- Training Records.
- Related Procedures, Forms and Documents.
- Review Criteria.
- Record Management.
Why Choose to Buy this Competence Training and Awareness Procedure
- This 10-page competence training and awareness procedure can ensure that the training, competencies and awareness needed to meet internal or external requirements are defined and that actions are taken to meet the standard required.
- This procedure can enable a structured and consistent methodology for identifying and verifying an organization’s training needs. This procedure also defines the responsibilities for planning, reporting and retaining records associated with educational training.
After purchasing this competence training and awareness procedure you will be able to:
- Very easily edit and customize the template to create your own competence training and awareness procedure.
- Apply your own style, format and brand to the procedure.
- Use it in any industry or sector regardless of the size or type of organization.
Availability and Use of this Competence Training and Awareness Procedure
- This competence training and awareness procedure is accessible to you right now by clicking the ‘Buy Now’ button.
- The procedure will be delivered to you in fully editable Microsoft Word format for immediate and full use in your business.
- There are no subscriptions, contracts or ongoing costs.
This competence, training and awareness procedure is 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
You may also require: