What is Competence Training and Awareness?
Competence training and awareness is the guidance and educational material that should be followed by staff on the company’s strategy and objectives. Staff can then consider any implications on their work activities and advise of any additional training required that is necessary to maintain or increase competence to the required standard or increase awareness.
A competence training and awareness procedure can ensure that all defined processes are being followed and employees are performing to their best ability in their allocated tasks.
The Competence of Personnel
The competence of personnel is vital to enable a business to operate effectively and safely. Where a required level of training, competency or a certificate is required to acquire the necessary competence or perform a work activity, no person should be permitted to undertake that activity without an adequate level of training, competency, or the necessary certificate being attained.
Consequently, competency can be described as a combination of attributes, including skills, training and experience, relevant to a particular work task or function that enables a person to undertake that work task safely or discharge that function following company expectations.
Management’s Responsibilities with Competence Training and Awareness
Management of an organization are responsible for planning and the required initiatives and activities that are needed for a given budgeted year, or timeframe. Management are the fundamental component for the identification of a competency, to enable staff to undertake their work to the organization’s expectations.
A competence training and awareness procedure can be vital to occupational health and safety management system requirements, as it can outline their responsibilities such as:
- Identifying and planning for interested party training needs.
- Guiding on the objectives and strategic direction.
- Determine the basis of appropriate education training or experience.
- Implementing training initiatives and activities to enable competence and awareness.
- Ensuring that responsibilities and required competencies are measured.
- Facilitating training as necessary for risks associated with their work.
- Determining the frequency of refresher training.
- Maintaining records of qualifications, competencies and training.
How to Determine What Competence Training and Awareness is Needed?
Conducting a training needs analysis (or gap analysis) is a great way to determine what training is required to enable workers to competently perform their roles.
A training needs analysis can consider the following matters, inclusive of:
- Position responsibilities.
- Mandatory legal employee training requirements to determine the necessary competence.
- Statutory licensing orders to acquire new requirements and to raise employee awareness with competence.
- Known or anticipated risks and opportunities.
- Current procedures and competence including the ability to meet the requirements of procedures.
- Organizational system requirements that affect its OH&S performance.
- The AS/NZS ISO 45001 standard, internal auditing findings and legislation.
A training needs analysis should be reviewed periodically for all position types and updated to reflect any new positions created. The training needs analysis should be updated if:
- There are changes in risks or opportunities.
- There are changes in the work practices or measures to control risk.
- There are changes in roles and responsibilities or organizational arrangements.
- There are changes to legislation.
- There is new or additional information from manufacturers, suppliers or other relevant bodies that may impact personnel, products or services.
Establishing a Training Plan for Competence and Awareness
Once training needs have been identified and prioritized, management can then determine and source the appropriate training programs. Once a training provider is identified and their services engaged, the training should be scheduled, and subsequent details recorded. The effectiveness of the training should be monitored and reviewed during an appraisal process and by the completion of a training course evaluation checklist.
AS/NZS ISO 45001 Management System Training
All personnel should receive periodic AS/NZS ISO 45001 management system awareness training, appropriate to their responsibilities and this should be provided to ensure that personnel are aware of:
- The importance of conforming to policies, objectives, targets and procedures.
- Any significant impacts, actual or potential, on their work activities.
- The importance of safety management and the identification of hazards based on competence.
- Their roles and responsibilities (e.g. health and safety manager and human resources) in achieving conformance with policies, objectives, targets and procedures.
- The potential consequences of a departure from specified operational procedures.
Note: After AS/NZS ISO 45001 management system training, an attendance record should be completed and signed by each attendee and retained on file as documented information.
Contents of this AS/NZS ISO 45001 Competence Training and Awareness Procedure
- Terms and Definitions.
- Roles and Responsibilities.
- Training, Competencies and Awareness Process Overview.
- Training, Competencies and Awareness Process Activity Map.
- Induction Training.
- Training Needs Analysis.
- Training Plan.
- Safety Management System Training.
- Refresher Training.
- Performance Review.
- Training Records.
- Related Procedures, Forms and Documents.
- Review Criteria.
- Record Management.
Why Choose to Buy this AS/NZS ISO 45001 Competence Training and Awareness Procedure
- This 10-page competence training and awareness procedure can ensure that the training, competencies and awareness needed to meet internal or external requirements are defined and that actions are taken to meet these needs.
- This procedure can enable a structured and consistent methodology for identifying and verifying an organization’s training needs.
- This procedure also defines the responsibilities for planning, reporting and retaining records associated with training, competencies and awareness, to achieve the benefits of improved outcomes.
After purchasing this AS/NZS ISO 45001 competence training and awareness procedure you will be able to:
- Very easily edit and customize the template to create your own competence training and awareness procedure.
- Apply your own style, format and brand to the procedure.
- Use it in any industry or sector regardless of the size or type of organization.
Availability and Use of this AS/NZS ISO 45001 Competence Training and Awareness Procedure
- This AS/NZS ISO competence training and awareness procedure is accessible to you right now by clicking the ‘Buy Now’ button.
- The procedure will be delivered to you in fully editable Microsoft Word format for immediate and full use in your business.
- There are no subscriptions, contracts or ongoing costs.
This AS/NZS ISO 45001 competence training and awareness procedure is 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
You may also require: